Monday, November 12, 2007

Shot caller

For as long as I could remember, I have been taking pictures of anything and everything that surrounds me. I believe my very first camera was given to me at the age of 8-years old. It was black and hot pink, and made of some pretty hefty plastic. I snapped away endlessly forcing my parents to spend hundreds of dollars developing my masterpieces (ie my friends and I on the playground at recess). My first photo that comes to mind is the one I took of me and my friend Ally Korzec. We were on the blacktop where the boys played dodgeball and it was the day after she had broke her arm during a game of Red Rover. She survived, and it was worth noting. From then on, I haven't stopped since.

I was always known as the picture-taker. I was the girl that always made doubles, sometimes triples, and even quadruples of copies to hand out to friends. I wonder how I got so obsessed with capturing memories and documenting life.

I have albums upon albums, boxes upon boxes, and CD after CD of thousands of photographs. They are my most prized possession. I used to look at them regularly, but unfortunately, I do not have my collection with me in the city. There is simply not enough room for them all in my apt. When I visit my parents, I get the chance to look through them again as I plan on doing next week when I am home for Thanksgiving.

Nowadays, I am lucky enough/doomed that everything has gone digital. I fear of losing it all, but all my photographs are so easily obtainable. Now, I just need a legit camera.

I'll admit, I'm not the best photographer. I took photography classes in high school...it was even one of my 3 possible majors for college, but I did not excel in it, so I thought it wasn't for me. I kept it a hobby instead of a profession, but now, I'm so eager to learn again. I just want to take better quality photos, and actually put more thought into what it is I'm capturing. I'm not asking to be some spectacular artistic photographer...I just want to better my craft.

I've made friends with many photographers and have picked their brain where I should start. I've bought some books, done some research online, and am planning to buy a digital slr camera. I can barely afford that, so I'm gonna try to start off small. Saving up the money for this is gonna take some time, but now that I have my MACbook, buying a camera is gonna be my next priority (other than paying off my debt, of course).

A friend of mine made a joke that I should ask for donations...and well, I'm kind of taking it serious. Well, not really, but if you wanna add a penny or two to my fund, I wouldn't mind. I really want a new camera by the time the new year rolls around. I don't know if it'll happen, but I'll be crossin my fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment