Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Narcoleptic

Today, Temis and I came to the conclusion that I have narcolepsy. I don't know what is wrong with me, but I start falling asleep in the middle of the day. Not that I fall to floor and cozy up to the curb, but my eyes really do shut, and I could fall asleep talking to someone if I'm beyond exhaustion. At this point, I can see you laughing, but it's really not funny to me anymore. I really do try to get enough sleep, but sometimes I just can't. My body doesn't let me.

I've always had issues with insomnia (srsly, I can lay in bed for hours and not fall asleep). My doctor has even prescribed me sleeping pills, but I never ended up taking them cause I feared I'd oversleep or become dependent on them. I'll even admit, part of my hiatus from dance is because of my sleeping habits. The doctor said all the exercise I do, which is mainly at night, keeps my blood flowing making it harder for my body to wind down at night. I decided to take a break and try to get myself into a better routine, and since then, my sleeping patterns have definitely gotten better...but not quite good enough.

I'll be drinking one or two cups of coffee a day, now, to stay awake (something I never did until this summer), but I haven't noticed it helping at all. I've tried Red Bull, candy...whatever I can do just to muster up enough energy to make it through the day. I'm obviously over dramatizing this (I'm not always as bad as I make it seem), but it is definitely a problem.

The dreams I've been having have gotten more vivid and realistic to the point where I have to convince myself that I am just dreaming.

This is when I decided to invest in a meditation cd. Yes, I know this sounds weird, but I believe a sound mind provides a restful soul, and more than anything...I think it's my brain that keeps me up at night. So far, so good. It's been relaxing me and putting me to sleep in minutes. My only problem is, I don't see improvement later on in my days. So, what next?

I guess I'll have to keep trying different remedies. Until then, this is what my brain looks like:

No comments:

Post a Comment