Sunday, March 7, 2010

Flapjack Smack

Totally made my first pancakes from scratch today...no dairy involved, and no eggs.

I felt defeated, yesterday, when I went out to breakfast with my parents. Everything on the menu had some sort of dairy product in it besides, maybe, the homefries? The waitress looked at me like I had two heads, too, when I asked about the ingredients in the batter. I suppose I should have known better in going to a small-town diner. Well, every now and then, I "cheat" on the not-so-obvious (breads, bagels, pasta, etc), and yesterday was one of those times. I got the waffles with strawberries, holding the whipped cream. Man, I cannot even tell you how unsatisfying it was. Sure a waffle is a waffle, but they gooped it with this gross, thick, strawberry jam-like topping. It was warm, syrup-y, and way too sweet. I guess I was expecting fresh strawberries delicately placed on top. I think I am becoming somewhat of a food snob, now.

Anyways, I decided this morning that I would take my revenge by cooking something marvelous and extremely simple: Banana Flapjacks. I took the recipe straight from Isa Chandra Moskowitz's cookbook, Vegan Brunch, and divided it in half. In less than 10 minutes, I was eating this delicious treat.


Need I say more? It was awesome.

I have to say thank you to my good friends who have supported me in this choice I have made even though they don't choose it for themselves. Occasionally, I'll get the sarcastic remarks, the mocking, and the down right cruel displays of behavior from others about becoming vegan, and honestly, it hurts. Sometimes they act as if I've joined a cult or done something horrific. So to those that have been good to me, I will do my best to be good to you. I will not judge you for eating meat. I will not shove veggies in your face. And I will not preach about my way...directly...and unless called upon. But, seriously, it means a lot...especially the gifts, two vegan cookbooks, from my boyfriend who is the biggest carnivore I know. I love you...all of you. You know who you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment