Friday, February 19, 2010

One small step for man, one giant leap for my bank account

Today, I resisted. Today, I am proud. Tomorrow, I will go through this process all over again.

I'm going to take a moment and talk about something personal right now...something I know, at least, more than half of you can relate to. It's called shopping. Now, as harmless as it may sound, this word haunts me everyday. Some people may laugh, so go ahead...but I'll just have you know that I'm not laughing on the other end. I'm holding my head high.

Today, I almost bought this pair of lovely Kelsie Dagger boots:

Yeah, they may be ugly to you, but to me, all I know is I wanted them. Why? I dunno. I liked the color. I liked that they only had a 3/4" heel. I liked the scrunchy style and the studs on the side. I, also, liked the deal they offered...only $89. I, also, felt pressured that I only had approximately 10 minutes to decide whether or not to buy them. And I, ALSO, was bored.

Seriously, this is the kind of stuff I go through when I'm shopping. I had to get up and walk away from my computer, and hope they would sell out before I managed to run back. (Sidenote: they didn't)

My point is: unnecessary shopping. I tend to do this WAY too much. I buy things just because I want them, not because I need them or because they could be an essential part of my life/wardrobe. And even if I had all the money in the world, would this habit still be acceptable to me? I sure hope not, but I doubt I'll find that out any time soon.

As much as I love fashion I just as equally hate it. Unfortunately, for me, I work in fashion, so this love/hate relationship comes up a lot. I've come to love making statements, following trends, making people look and feel great. I've, also, come to hate what superficial people this industry creates. Are clothing and accessories really all that trivial? Do you really need these things to feel good about yourself or feel important? Hell no! So why do we do it? Why do we all fall victim to this incompetent crime?

Whatever the reason, I'm standing my ground. This seems to be my year...the year in which I am practicing healthy habits and working on making myself a better person. I may falter a bit here and there, but you have my word that I am, in fact, trying.

No comments:

Post a Comment